[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFORTHE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

David Boyd dboyd at ignitetrx.com
Wed May 30 13:50:47 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 21:54 +0200, Olivier wrote:
> 2007/5/30, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com>:
>         The problem with this is that if 1.2 has a bug that is making
>         it unstable, it should be fixed to make a stable project,
>         rather then steam rolling ahead to the next release.  Further,
>         I have seen on several occassions a security patch cause
>         stability issues in Asterisk.
>

> I'm not aware of any easy way to turn an unstable server into a stable
> one nor aware of any bug-free application software.
>
> And if such software did exist, what happens with security patches
> from Operating System, or hardphone upgrades or devices you don't
> manage ?
>
> The real questions are :
> - Which open bugs are keeping you from proving given telephony
> services ?
> - Do you then have a way to lower your service level or to
> investigate ?
> - How many open serious bugs are still affecting 1.4 ?
>
> Regards

Not trying to start a flame war, however the issues that I see with 1.2
and 1.4 are very similar to the issues relating to Redhat and Fedora.
Redhat didn't want to continue supporting the open source model and
convinced? the end user community to support all of the old releases
based on the number of deployed systems.  If the user community really
doesn't want the versions to go away, then they won't allow it to
happen. My question is this:

Will digium provide the needed support to the community to allow them to
continue supporting the 1.2 release, or will this prove to be related to
business issues that the user community is not aware of, which will
result in a much broader support of callweaver?

my $.02 which probably isn't worth $.02!

dave