[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X THEN AMP IS DEAD TOO!

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Wed May 30 12:47:03 MST 2007

On 5/30/07, BSumrall <Brads at ftnco.com> wrote:
> AMP does not support 1.4 and will not until AMP 2.3 is released!

I'm sorry to hear you think our decision (I say "our", as I was at the
Asterisk Developers' Conference where the decision was made) will kill
the AMP project.  Personally, I don't think the situation is as dire
as you say.  I'm quite sure the AMP developers will step up to the
plate and support Asterisk 1.4 in due time.  When that will be I can't
say, as I'm not active in the AMP community. I can't image it would
take that long to move over to Asterisk 1.4, as the dialplan changes
aren't *that* extensive between 1.2 and 1.4. (Obviously any code that
ties into the internal C APIs of Asterisk will take longer to port.)

> Bet you guys didn't think about that one!

Actually, we did.  As a matter of fact, I was *very* vocal at the
conference in stating that we needed to give users, integrators, and
projects like AMP a substantial warning before putting Asterisk 1.2 in
security maintenance mode, as they need time to react.

At the same time, I don't think anyone should expect the Asterisk
developers to base all their decisions completely on the timetables of
outside projects (like AMP).  There is a plethora of projects and
programs out there that tie into Asterisk, and if we as developers
waited for every single one to move over to Asterisk 1.4, we'd never
accomplish anything.  There's simply a finite set of resources
(developers and bug marshalls in this case), and a decision had to be
made on how best to use those resources.  Personally, I think it would
be great if there were more communication between the outside projects
and the Asterisk developers, so that there isn't so much animosity
when decisions like this are made.

In short, the decision is probably going to cause some short-term
discomfort for some people, but I truly believe it's a good decision
for the long-term health and sanity of the Asterisk developers and
Asterisk community in general.  No, we're not trying to kill off AMP
or any other outside project -- we're trying to make Asterisk (and by
extension, anything that uses or adds on to Asterisk) as great as
possible.

-Jared