[asterisk-users] multiple host= in sip.conf

Bryan Laird negativeduck at gmail.com
Wed May 30 04:53:20 MST 2007

for inbound connections how does asterisk manage host=host-name
returning multiple A records... will
it allow authentication for any of the IP's returned?

I would assume that in the case of 'inbound' if you specify a host-
name that you have PTR records for you could do it in one entry
again I'm making a blind assumption.

IE say you 10.23.23.3, .4, .5 as his IP's
if you created entries either in your own dns or etc hosts (depending
on os) you should be able to create entries
for each of his IP's all resolving to the same name... and then "one
entry" ... for his transactions from him -> you.
now the reverse of you -> him you would in theory loose control over
which host you send the call to but if he doesn't
care then it wold work...

and while this assumes you have no moral / security objection to
using host-names.

someone would have to keep my honest here though as I haven't looked
at where asterisk does the NS lookup and how those transactions work.
if it only read the conf file and did a translation at startup via a
single lookup for host name then this  wouldn't work.

On May 30, 2007, at 6:11 AM, Yusuf wrote:

> Thing is, he does not REGISTER to me, he just uses me as proxy for
> his calls.  I authenticate his calls in his IP.
>
> Alexandre VERNIOL wrote:
>> Not supported jsut use host=dynamic with username and secret.
>> Alex
>> Yusuf a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Asterisk 1.4.4, and needed to setup sip accounts for
>>> someone to call my server and place calls.  However, he has
>>> multiple IP's that he comes from, and since I authenticate him of
>>> his IP,  I did this, and it works.
>>>
>>> [vz1]
>>> context=outbound
>>> type=friend