[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFOR THE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Tue May 29 12:36:41 MST 2007

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:

> Michael Collins wro
> Except that for some users 1.2.18 is NOT stable.  I've had to roll
> back to 1.2.15 on my production servers in order to prevent core dumps
> at least once per day.  No, I am not willing to turn my production
> servers into testing servers to solve this.  Doing so would make me a
> "former consultant" for these customers.

You seem to miss the idea here.  You work with a version that supports
your "feature needs" and find the sub-version that provides the most
stability for your deployments.  Lets face it these boxes should go in
and run for weeks, months or even years without much intervention
(assuming the mission of the box does not change).  I'm running a
1.2.7.something (i think) that has been running almost nonstop since
installing.  Very reliable and stable for my needs.  Compared to a
Merlin or Nortel or any other system out that I feel I have a much
better product.

Could I benefit from a newer sub-version? Maybe.
Will I upgrade the box in it current roll?  No.

Unless the application I use the box for has a major change (or the
hardware dies) I'll just let it keep on running as it is.

For my future deploys I am working closer with 1.4.  The reason is
clear.  1.4 is the future of asterisk.  When 1.6 or 2.0 comes out I'll
investigate into migrating in that direction at that time because that
will become the future of asterisk.