[asterisk-users] RE: Bottom line on fax reception

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon May 28 17:55:38 MST 2007

If you are a junk spam faxer then it should suit your needs.

If you occasionally send faxes and if you do not receive one or the
other party does not receive one or it spits out junk but that is OK,
then it should fit your needs.

If you are faxing contracts or other important documents that are worth
something, then go for a more reliable solution.

On a 3ghz HP DL320 with a gig of RAM, each fax took about 5% indicated
by top.  I would not want to go above ten simultaneous faxes so I setup
ten IAX Modems (50% in top).  Even at that rate, there were a lot of
failures.  I did not bother to figure out why because these were legal
contracts, in bulk, amounting to big dollars.

The variables are very simple for any of these kind of decisions.  Don't
think about savings, think about costs.

Costs of equipment
Costs of time (resources) implementing
Costs of maintenance
Costs of losing data (faxes in this case)
Costs of going back and doing it the right way if you find the above
costs are higher than another solution.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com