[asterisk-users] Bottom line on fax reception

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu May 24 12:19:59 MST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, shadowym wrote:

> So what is the bottom line?  Does it work or not.  I've heard stories it
> works, it doesn't work, it kinda sorta works when it's not raining out
> side. Everything under the rainbow.

   If you're talking about running it as analog pass-thru over G.711u over
SIP, especially over the Internet-at-large, that's the answer;  it mostly
works, unless it doesn't.  Analog fax is highly susceptible to even very
minute distortions introduced by jitter, 1-2% packet loss, and/or
out-of-sequence RTP payloads.  That's not something software can really
fix, except to the extent that T.38 may do so.

   If you're talking about picking faxes up over TDM/POTS, it should work
fine. I've set it up a number of times and never had any problems.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems