[asterisk-users] Using gizmo as softphone for Linux

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Wed May 23 18:34:19 MST 2007

Frederico,

Gizmo Project is a US company.

I hate to tell you, but under US law, they HAVE to be able to record not
only detailed CDRs about your call, but also your DTMF codes and full
conversations. Now, this would only be in the case of a warrant issued
by the US Government to retrieve this information, but the possibility
IS there.

We just had to set up a CALEA box for our datacenter to meet the May
deadline, and I got to learn about all the nifty things that CALEA
requires, how it's processed, and what the current batch of hardware CAN
and CAN'T do.

For instance, things like ZRTP, SRTP, and audio-only DTMF are still (and
likely to remain) pretty much impossible to decode for all calls. But of
course, once you hit the PSTN (which is, after all, just a bunch of
wires, fiber, and switches), it becomes relatively cake to record
things.  At that point, though, you're beyond the reach of Gizmo and now
within the reach of little Timmy and his lineman's handset (if you
REALLY want to get paranoid).

Face it. If you're worried about the possible security of using a
particular VoIP service for things like dialing bank PINs, you're
probably worrying waaay too much. Gizmo Project, while it does have
somewhat of a silly name (although no sillier than most in the
business), is a reputable company with well-known owners, and would have
a very difficult time sifting through all of its traffic to search for
possible bank PINs and other juicy info.

N.