[asterisk-users] WiFi SIP phones

Remco Post remco at pipsworld.nl
Wed May 23 12:46:36 MST 2007

Tony Plack wrote:
> Are the DECT phones two channel or do they share a channel like most
> other portable phones?

DECT is a digital standard, quite distantly comparable to GSM. There are
multiple channels (I believe the standard allows for 12 channels, but
the last time I actually worked on DECT is ages ago). A siemens S450IP
can have up two 6 handsets with 2 'external' (SIP or POTS) phonecalls
concurently. You cannot decline a phonecall, but you can ignore it.

> The thing I like about the wired SIP phones is that they handle the echo
> issue fairly well.  ATAs just reintroduce the echo issue of single pair
> type phones.

DECT is completely digital, no echo ;-)

>> I'd just like to say that I purchased a siemen S450IP recently and
>> so far so good it's a nice handset and works better than previous
>> wifi phones I've used. This is most likely due to it being dect gap
>> where the base station handles the voip side and not the phone thus
>> avoiding issues with 802.11 wireless and phone packets.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dee

Remco Post

"I didn't write all this code, and I can't even pretend that all of it
makes sense." -- Glen Hattrup