[asterisk-users] SMS

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed May 23 08:45:26 MST 2007

Andre Courchesne - Consultant wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Anyone has details or information on how to use the SMS command to
> send SMS to Fido, Bell Mobility and Rogers Wireless in Canada?

Bad news on that.

SMS() requires a PSTN port or device in order to work. None of Rogers,
Fido, Bell or Telus provide PSTN access to their SMS systems. The only
other way is SMPP (short message peer-to-peer protocol), and I was told
in no uncertain terms that Rogers does not support SMPP for non-carriers
and will never support SMPP.

The only realistic option is e-mail to text. Most all the carriers
support direct delivery of e-mail to text, but they charge for this.

You can also use a third-party SMS gateway, but you will pay either a
substantial monthly flat rate or a per message fee.

-Stephen-