[asterisk-users] VoiceMail Access

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon May 21 12:10:23 MST 2007

Mike Hammett wrote:
> I was looking at the ILECs’ web sites to determine how their users
> access voicemail.
>
> What method should I use for my users checking their voicemail?  Can
> Asterisk voicemail be made to accept hitting * during the greeting to
> enter the voicemail system?  If they call their own number, how do I get
> Asterisk to recognize that and take them to the voicemail system?

Mike,

A common approach is to use the caller id in combination with some digit
sequence.  For my systems, I've just used 555 as the VM extension.

exten=>555,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERID(num)})

For access to the VM from outside the system, I've used an AGI script to
query a database to validate the user.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee