[asterisk-users] asterisk and fax machine

Thomas Artner artner at gmx.com
Mon May 21 03:49:54 MST 2007

Hi!

Either the fax machine or the asterisk box has to pick up the call to
know whether it is a fax or not.

My solution is that I let asterisk pick up every call, and if it is a
fax, then the call is forwarded to a fax-machine.
If its a voice call, the call is forwarded to the phones.

[incoming]
exten => s,1,Answer()           ;automatic answer for fax recognition
exten => s,2,Wait(3)            ;prevents ringing when it is a fax
exten => s,3,Dial(Sip/21&Sip/22&Sip/25&Sip/26,45,t)     ;ring phones
exten => s,4,Hangup             ;hangup after 45 secondes

;is it a fax? then take it here!
exten => fax,1,Dial(Zap/1)

But this solution implies that asterisk picks up every call immediately.
So the caller has to pay for the call before he can talk to you.

tom