[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Sun May 20 08:36:30 MST 2007

Quoting asterisk at anime.net:

> On Fri, 11 May 2007, Jon Pounder wrote:
>> again, I'm interested to know anyone whose actually done this, and what
>> the results were, since I have been thinking of the same thing for a
>> while.
>
> Yep, did it for about 10 years straight :) both ADSL and SDSL.
>
> Most reliable service I've ever had from a telco. Our T1s, T3s, POTS etc
> would take a dump but our dry copper links would stay up!
>
> Never ran into load coils, just length issues. Because the connection
> runs from the customer to the CO and then to you. So one or both ends
> better be close to the CO (in this case the ISP I worked for was one
> block away from the CO).

how many cable feet were you ever able to actually get various speeds at ?

around here it might just be the geography but I think load coils are
really just a well talked about myth. There are no truly long haul
lines due to the number of cities so close together and the lakes
blocking what would be any longer haul lines.

The trend also seems to be just drop in a chunk of fibre and park a
dms switch right near any sizable new development and not feed it from
the CO at all. This is something else I have been wondering about -
these telco dms shelters are fed off mains power, and probably have
batteries of some sort, but I am wondering how they fare in long term
outages. For example our t1's are fed direct from a larger CO with
generators etc. - never had a problem in the big blackout a few years
ago, how long do these remotes stay up by comparison ?

A related question is now with these remotes is dry copper even really
physically possible even within the same city ?

Another interesting observation, the cable tv utility in the same area
has NG generators at every neighbourhood pop where they hop off fibre
to coax (every 250 or so houses), yet on the longer wire runs they
have pole mounted "Alpha" amplifiers fed off the utility power. Seems
like the same sort of mentality, if you're not right close in, watch
out if the power's off.

> -Dan

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com