[asterisk-users] Mobile Number to Mobile carrier mapping

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Sat May 19 17:11:07 MST 2007

> > Is there a way to find out the mobile/landline carrier name based on the
> > phone number?
> > For example, who is the mobile carrier for (415)2345678

I don't know what the story is regarding number porting over the other side of the pond, but here in the UK where number portability's been around for a few years it's almost impossible to find out which network is really holding the number. For example - 07811 was originally assigned to Orange, but people will have ported numbers over to other networks within that range.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe it's still the original allocation that takes effect in termination pricing. So, for example, calls to my mobile from an O2 mobile would still count as different network despite my SIM being with O2. Likewise, calls from another telco would be charged at the Orange rate rather than O2.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html