[asterisk-users] RE: Ser vs. DUNDi

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Sat May 19 10:17:49 MST 2007

> With all of the recent talk on the list about DUNDi, I have a question.
> From
> the outset it appears that SER is often used for high availability
> solutions
> and as a tool for almost clustering Asterisk boxes behind it. It appears
> me that DUNDi is providing a lot of this as well. Now I know DUNDi is not
> an
> application by itself to proxy SIP requests but can I hear any information
> out there that supports that DUNDi is in fact a valid alternative to
> something like SER or not? A nice feature analysis between the two in a
> clustering/highly available solution would be nice to see. Not a feature
> list but rather a discussion from people that have tested/used both for
> people who are deciding which way to go to achieve the goal.

Don't think of this as DUNDi vs. SER, they both do different things when
scaling VoIP Networks.  SER is a proxy, suited more for interfacing outside
SIP devices, PSTN gateways, disparate networks, with an Asterisk Cluster.
DUNDi is the internal call setup protocol within an Asterisk Cluster.  With
DUNDi you can scale an Asterisk Cluster greatly, but you are not going to
use DUNDi to setup calls to a Cisco AS5300 or MAX TNT PSTN Gateway or route
calls to the Global Crossing SIP network, you would use SER for this.  Each
has its strengths and should be used in conjunction not in lour of each
other.  To scale large, you would be hard pressed not to use both.

JR