[asterisk-users] Ser vs. DUNDi

Remco Post remco at pipsworld.nl
Sat May 19 07:19:32 MST 2007

Curt Shaffer wrote:
> With all of the recent talk on the list about DUNDi, I have a question. From
> the outset it appears that SER is often used for high availability solutions
> and as a tool for almost clustering Asterisk boxes behind it. It appears to
> me that DUNDi is providing a lot of this as well. Now I know DUNDi is not an
> application by itself to proxy SIP requests but can I hear any information
> out there that supports that DUNDi is in fact a valid alternative to
> something like SER or not? A nice feature analysis between the two in a
> clustering/highly available solution would be nice to see. Not a feature
> list but rather a discussion from people that have tested/used both for
> people who are deciding which way to go to achieve the goal.

I'm currently 'using' dundi and it works great for small environments. I
guess that up to several tens of nodes and a few concurrent calls going
on, a set of * boxes clustered using dundi is quite an elegant solution.

Now, if you have hundreds or more clients all registering quite
frequently, you * boxes will have an hard time keeping up. In that case,
it makes lots of sense to set up a set of (Open)SER registrars to handle
that load and have * take on the role of a 'border' gateway, of course
still clustered to achieve maximum availability and an opportunity to
take one down for maintenance without impacting production too much.
Now, I haven't had time to test this, but from what I hear, this is the
way o go for larger environments. I haven't had time to experiment with
this, but it seems feasable.

> Thanks!
>
> Curt

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams