[asterisk-users] zaptel huge irq problem

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu May 17 16:14:18 MST 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 07:26:10PM +0200, François Delawarde wrote:
> Hi,
> >Why are you so determined to use Asterisk in a VM? You're asking for
> >trouble. Asterisk belongs on dedicated hardware.
> >
> I actually want to use Asterisk in a machine HOSTING a VM (that's what I
> implied with the Dom-0 thing I said earlier), sorry for the
> misunderstanding. I agree with you that given the state of advancement
> of just about any 'virtualizer', I would have to be totally stupid to
> try running Asterisk inside a VM. (I also wouldn't have asked here in
> the first place, as I would have been totally certain that problems came
> from the virtualizer itself)

What kind of separation do you really need?

Xen, VMWare and such are "big cannons" here. Every virtual machine will
consume fixed ammount of memory. There is a considerable overhead for
hardware access.

It allows you things like running different OS/distribution on each
guest. But for some reason I'm not sure you really need that?

Will the users have direct acces to the dialplan and the rest of the
configuration? If not: just run a single instance of Asterisk.

If you do need multiple asterisk instances, verver or openvz might
help you to give a separate "container" for that user's personal usage.
Stephan has mentioned in this thread he set up several Asterisk-es on a
vserver system.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org