[asterisk-users] OK to have Asterisk and clients behind firewalls?

Vincent Delporte vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Thu May 17 13:42:09 MST 2007

Hi

	To investigate the UNREACHABLE issue I'm having, I need to have
confirmation that it's OK for the Asterisk server to be behind a NAT
router, and also have clients elsewhere on the Net behind their own NAT router?

I know that clients must use STUN to resolve their public IP and punch UDP
holes in their firewall, but is there something special that must be done
in the configuration of Asterisk so it knows it's living in a private
network, behind a NAT router?

And if someone knows of tools to investigate SIP issues, especially a
text-based sniffer (no X available in the Asterisk live CD I'm using), I'm
interested :-)

Thank you.

PS: FWIW, extension 203 (softphone) and 204 (IP phone) are both located on
the same network and behind a NAT router, and both connect out to an
Asterisk server somewhere on the Net behing its own NAT router:

slast*CLI> sip show peers
Name/username              Host            Dyn Nat ACL
Port     Status
204/204                    82.237.x.y     D          5060     UNREACHABLE

203/203                    82.237.x.y     D   N      46838    OK (925 ms)