[asterisk-users] GSM Cards for Asterisk (UK)

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed May 16 23:34:07 MST 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Chris Bagnall wrote:

>> We use instead sip gsm gateway, with 4 gsm modules from 2N. It should
>> work in UK as well.
>
> I concur with this suggestion. I've yet to find a GSM PCI card that'll
> run reliably in the hostile environments (from a GSM signal perspective)
> asterisk servers are often deployed in (rackmount cabinets, etc.).
>
> Much better to have an external unit which can be placed wherever
> necessary to guarantee the best signal.

I also found that my co-lo space provider would not allow GSM antennae
near the data server cabinets, so either having long co-ax leads or boxes
on the end of rs232 leads was a neccessity. (This was a SMS application
rather than voice, but you get the drift!)

I'm sure there isn't an issue, but they were just being paranoid when the
racks were full of many other clients equipment...

Gordon