[asterisk-users] GSM Cards for Asterisk (UK)

Matt Brown matt at mbrown.co.uk
Wed May 16 13:15:49 MST 2007

On 16 May 2007, at 16:27, Steve Kennedy wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 02:17:11PM +0100, Matt Brown wrote:
>
>> I am currently building a 1.4.4 Asterisk box for a client and they
>> are interested in GSM functionality.
>> Does anyone have any experience with a GSM card, preferably Quad Span
>> (4 GSM modules or higher) for use in the UK. I have seen the
>
> Ensure the client is ONLY using for their own use (i.e. they're not
> handling ANY 3rd party calls through their system) or their operating
> in an illegal manner.
>
> Ofcom does allow GSM gateways to be used for your own use.

Hi Steve,

No, this client has a number of engineers all over the UK and they
have a large mobile contract with several handsets - their current
tariff includes free calls to other mobiles under the contract
so what they are trying to achieve is operators in the call centre
calling their own engineers get to make the call for free. The plan
was to get another 4 or so SIMS from the mobile company and
slot them into a PCI based device, having a pre-defined list of
mobiles and then these calls are routed via the GSM card and network.

I assume this would be acceptable ? In which case I presume that they
are unable to find a GSM gateway in the UK ?

Regards

Matt Brown