[asterisk-users] voice recording on legacy PBX

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed May 16 10:07:49 MST 2007

You would need two 4-port FXO cards.  One to take the 3 outside POTS lines,
and one to generate the 3 FXO lines toward the legacy PBX pretending to be
the far end.  Produce a simple dial plan that basically forwards nearly
everything in and out indiscriminately and run MixMonitor() on all of the
bridged calls.

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/MixMonitor

Caveats, as I said in my original response, may include unintended
breakage that is perceptible to end-users, ranging from malfunctioning
features to echo issues to poor audio quality to unnaturally high or
low volume, depending on the circumstances and the interoperability
of the equipment.

Also, I don't know about Malaysia, but here in the United States recording
voice in that manner is categorically illegal without the consent of both
(or more) parties to the call, or a court order in a law enforcement
capacity.  This is the reason that the queue announcements / IVRs of most
customer service centers that may or may not potentially record your call
say something about, "For quality control purposes, this call may be
recorded."  It is a legal requirement that they do so.

So, if you are doing this without the knowledge of either the PBX owners or
the outside endpoints, do so at your own peril unless you are aware of
local statute or are acting in a law-enforcement capacity.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov   <sasha at presidium.org>