[asterisk-users] asterisk manager interface stability

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed May 16 08:24:09 MST 2007

Quoting Bryan Laird <negativeduck at gmail.com>:

> why not do it via an snmp interface?
>
> If you spend the time building an solid snmp base you would open up
> for an easier world of custom gui's as well as possibly some cleaner
> ties into an nms infrastructure.

you have my vote on that implementation method.

snmp really is "simple", but it seems to be a neglected protocol that
has been around for a long time.

> On May 16, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Matt Florell wrote:
>
>> The issue has more to do with the sheer amount of data passed to
>> the client from within the Asterisk application when you have
>> 50-100 + clients connected to the AMI on full output mode. Running
>> a  system with FreePBX/Trixbox especially generates vast amounts of
>>   output that has to be generated on every AMI connection for every
>>   client. This is not trivial and can result in lockups very
>> easily,   although this has gotten much better since the early 1.0
>> versions.
>>
>> The new Asterisk Manager web API in 1.4 is a good step where
>> sending of Actions does not require an actual Telnet conneciton to
>>  the AMI, but I think to be able to handle larger numbers of
>> concurrent connections that a separate send-only and a separate
>> receive-only type of interface be built where Asterisk would just
>> output all AMI data to a single server-like application that would
>>  then broadcast it to all connected clients. This would remove the
>>  burden of so many connections going directly into Asterisk and
>> would allow for much larger scaling of AMI-type applications that
>> require real-time output of AMI events.
>>
>> As for how to go about doing this, I can't help you there. I did
>> build a very specialized version of something like this 4 years ago
>>   for the astGUIclient project called the Asterisk Central Queue
>> System(ACQS) It is based on 1.0 Asterisk but it still works with
>> 1.2 and 1.4. It is limited in what it does, but it does scale much
>>  better than using direct AMI connections.
>> http://astguiclient.sourceforge.net/acqs.html
>>
>> MATT---
>>

>> On 5/16/07, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>> If it's not stable what needs to be done to improve this? What are
>>  the issues? What are the alternatives (eg is Adhearsion an
>> alternative here)
>>

>> I am about to start looking into a project that requires every user
>>   to have AMI access so looking to fund development in this space.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Dean Collins
>> Cognation Pty Ltd
>> dean at cognation.net
>> +1-212-203-4357 Ph

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com