[asterisk-users] G729 Transcoding problems

Wireless wireless at svw.org.uk
Wed May 16 06:04:32 MST 2007

Hi

I've bought the Digium g729 codec and have installed it correctly (I think)

>> voip*CLI> show g729
>> 0/0 encoders/decoders of 3 licensed channels are currently in use

if I do an echo test either from a sip Cisco 7960 or another hard phone (unbranded)
using g729 it sometimes works and sometimes the announcement about the
test (echo-test.gsm) fails part way though but the test continues to work ie I can hear the echo test - if Asterisk
doesn't crash first!

If I place a call from the Cisco phone or other phone using g729 / SIP into my * server and then out to my service provider using IAX2 / GSM asterisk restarts and the call fails

I'm running a Trixbox 2.0 system but I have mannually patched it to
Asterisk 1.2.18
Zaptel 1.2.17.1
Digium HPEC 8 (9 is not working right)
Sangoma A200 with the wanpipe-3.1.0.p21-zaptel-patched drivers installed

I've tried recompiling all these too.

Since installing the g729 I've tried the different cpu types (the
machine is a P3 650MHz) and found that the i686 works most reliably.

any help much appreciated as I've search the Internet and this mailing list and am still stuck

Harvey