R: [asterisk-users] Trixbox problems

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:03:03 MST 2007

On 5/15/07, Marco Vescovi <m.vescovi at iplug.it> wrote:

> Just to be clear:
> 1) I do not use to configure the * config files with trixbox GUI but I
> manually edit the file
> 2) from my point of view, the main advantage of trixbox is to have an *
> installation up&running in half an hour, then it's up to you use the GUI or
> manually edit files
> 3) I did not ask 'what I have to change in my configuration' but the
> question is different and it's 'how can I troubleshoot the problem'.
> Troubleshooting it's distribution/GUI independent task so if you don't want
> to help other people just relax and watch a film on the tv, don't waste your
> time writing unuseful mails.
>
> Regards
> marco

If you've edited the files directly, then you undoubtedly know why you're
getting the responses you are getting. There's a few different files that
all come together to form each configuration file. And sometimes it's not
easy to see what will override others.

Another challenge when dealing with trixbox installs is dealing with the
permissions. Trixbox, rightly in my opinion, changes who owns files from the
default root:root. You just need to be careful when you start monkeying
around with the installation files.

Dropped calls are not usually easy to narrow down. You need to make sure the
line is good. You need to make sure that some of the more esoteric options
in zapata.conf are turned off, as I've seen them cause problems. And,
frankly, we've had problems out of the 400-series cards, so we only use them
in low-traffic areas. But checking IRQ misses, your hard drive DMA settings,
and all of the standard troubleshooting techniques may help.

I've had the ringing problem before, but for me it was an indications
problem. But another time, I always had to use an Answer() before dialing
out the Zap interface. Since you're headed to a POTS line anyway, it will be
Answer()'d as soon as the call is dialled anyway, and putting the Answer()
before the Dial() gave some of my more clueless SIP UAs a hint as to what's
going on. Otherwise, they'd disconnect after 1 minute of ringing and leave
the line out off-hook.

So, the answer to your question is this: do the normal troubleshooting
steps. But, since it very well could be configuration-related, you may want
to try the Trixbox list, as this may have come up on other installations.