[asterisk-users] OT (semi) E60 problem

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Mon May 14 22:12:03 MST 2007

On May 14, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Tim Panton wrote:

> On 14 May 2007, at 17:50, Martin Joseph wrote:
>
>> Hello again gurus.
>>
>> I have been using Asterisk with great results going on a couple of
>> years now.
>>
>> My primary box is running asterisk 1.42 built from a tar ball on
>> Mac OSX 10.4.9.
>>
>> I have a very odd issue that I cannot seem to nail down, which is
>> related to my Nokia E60 SIP phone.
>>
>> I use the E60 with very good results (latest firmware) from
>> several locations.
>>
>> Basically it works fine from everywhere EXCEPT when it's on the
>> same LAN as my asterisk box.
>>
>> The SIP config. that I have setup for the LAN connection refers to
>> my asterisk box by it's local IP (ie 192.168.1.101).  The external
>> configs refer to the asterisk box by it's name (ie sip.domain.com).
>>
>> It seems like this has something to do with the authentication
>> realm?  If I  create a new config on the phone using the LAN
>> address, it works, but then when I leave the LAN, it appears to
>> register,  but issues a "connection error" when I try to place calls.
>>
>> To get it working again from outside the LAN,  I can change the
>> realm parameter in SIP.conf, and then reload and then change it
>> AGAIN back to it's original value and reload, the phone then works
>> fine.   At that point, the LAN based config won't work anymore and
>> will give me a "connection error".
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?  Ideas on how to troubleshoot further or
>> work around it would be great.
>
> I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be capitalization error.
> The font the nokia uses for it's config dialogs is such that the
> caps don't stand out.
> This was compounded by the fact that the default input method
> capitalizes the first letter of every line.
>
> I guess this isn't your problem, but if it is I've saved you a
> _long_ tedious hunt!

Yes, thanks for that thought Tim,  although I think they fixed that
"feature" in the latest firmware update.  It definitely seems to be
some sort of realm realated issue (I think)...

I am thinking that if I could get my router to properly resolve the
name (ie sip.domain.com) into the internal number (ie 192.168.1.101)
then my issue would be resolved.  I even did attempt setting up a
seperate DNS for this lookup,  but the stupid phone caches DNS info,
so that when I leave the site, it continues to produce the (now
wrong) internal IP address.

Ugh.  I think I am going to try playing with the SIP debug settings
in asterisk and see if that gives me any additional help on figuring
out what is going on...

Another solution would be to run and entirely seperate asterisk for
the LAN, which had another realm name....  That seems insane though.

Oh well,
Marty