[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Mon May 14 09:40:30 MST 2007

Per Jessen wrote:
> Jon Pounder wrote:
>
>> Quoting Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca>:

>>> The world is a big place, and I suppose there's room for all kinds.
>>> In these parts, the vigilance is pretty high. The pillars are
>>> padlocked now; they didn't use to be, and the COs are locked down
>>> like Fort Knox.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I know enough more than one person who has landed in the
>>> clink for treating the telco like a personal lab.
>> what exactly was the charge ?
>
> Perhaps something along the lines of "unauthorised tampering with a
> telecomms installation"?

I wasn't going to bother replying to Jon's post, because, well, some
things aren't worth the bother.

But here it is, for the public good.

First, there's section 326 of the Criminal Code of Canada:

> Theft of telecommunication service
>
> 326. (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently, maliciously, or without colour of right,
>
> (a) abstracts, consumes or uses electricity or gas or causes it to be wasted or diverted; or
>
> (b) uses any telecommunication facility or obtains any telecommunication service.

Then, there's section 334:

> Punishment for theft
>
> 334. Except where otherwise provided by law, every one who commits theft
>
> (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, where the property stolen is a testamentary instrument or the value of what is stolen exceeds five thousand dollars; or
>
> (b) is guilty
>
> (i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
>
> (ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,
>
> where the value of what is stolen does not exceed five thousand dollars.

The person in question was slapped with a $10,000 fine.

Look, these guys take tampering with wire infrastructure seriously.
There's a reason the addresses aren't published, the buildings
non-descript, and the doors locked nine ways to Sunday.

-Stephen-