[asterisk-users] Asterisk High-Capacity Stability

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon May 14 08:15:53 MST 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Daryl Jurbala said something to this effect:

> That being said, I don't meant to trash Asterisk at all.  It's a
> fantastic feature server, and a great PBX, both of which things I use it
> for very successfully.

   Agreed.  And, it's worth pointing out, that's what Asterisk is intended
to be at this point;  it's an *endpoint*, a UA.  Excellent as a feature
server, voicemail depository, PBX, IVR, what have you, *not* as a router or
a PC-host based softswitch.  About the only possible use I could imagine
for such a thing in a routing scenario is as a broker that commands
superior intelligence and is able to use extensive logic in call decisions
(like LCR) and then releases itself from the media and signaling path
entirely, but if you want that, you can't really use a B2BUA, and a SIP
proxy like OpenSER can do that much better.  Fast.  Because that's what
it's designed to do.

   I am not sure why so many people want to use it in call routing
scenarios, because it's not a transit system.  That's what optimised
network elements are for;  media gateways, proxies, etc.

--
Alex Balashov   <sasha at presidium.org>