[asterisk-users] OT ? Number portability, land line to Cell

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon May 14 07:58:39 MST 2007

> Having had various issues with local vendor (begins with "V"). am looking to move to all wireless.  Anyone know if current vendor can refuse to port the current land line numbers to a wireless provider?
>
> >From what I've read, the Fed's seem to say "no", they cannot refuse, or impede this.

Your local Vendor can certainly refuse to port the number, regardless of
whether or not they're actually supposed to allow portability.  They're
the phone company, they don't have to care.

Excuses can range fom "we don't support that" to "the equipment's too old"
to "my dog ate my homework."

They know that 99.9% of all consumers are stupid and/or will not argue the
point.  Most people do not choose to engage big businesses over things
like this.  That's unfortunate, of course, because it enables companies to
get away with blowoffs like this successfully and makes it harder for the
rest of us to fight.

You might find it interesting and/or useful to see if you can get them to
port it to their own wireless division, assuming that they have one.

If you decide to press the point, which you're encouraged to do, then the
following resource ought to be helpful.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/numbport.html

... JG