[asterisk-users] Codename Pineapple - Chan_sip3 - what's the status?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon May 14 07:12:50 MST 2007

Friends,

I have gotten a few questions lately on the status on the Codename
Pineapple project, the project
that hopefully will produce a more stable and SIP compliant SIP stack
for Asterisk.

Due to lack of funding, it's postponed until further notice.

I have a few sponsors, but not enough to be able to dedicate time to
work on it. And since Digium
hasn't made up their minds after thinking about it for more than a
year, recent changes has not been
updated on svn.digium.com

The work that has been done so far, to mention some major issues

- New configuration parser
- New device type: phone (no more peers/users)
- New way to handle messages (much less copying of in-memory data)
- New transaction engine started
- Adjustable SIP timers
- Split into multiple source code files
- Call pickup support
- New registration handling

This work has been sponsored by Edvina and Voop.

Also, a lot of general cleanup and a new abstraction to prepare
handling multiple sockets
and domain-level configurations. I've gone through and changed quite
a lot of the source.
The Codename Pineapple SIP stack is already far away from chan_sip.c,
but not anywhere
close to something I would start testing. Work in progress or a sad
ruin... You choose.

I can't resist working on it now and then, but don't expect any major
progress.

If you have ideas on how to get the community to help fund a major
overhaul like this,
please send me e-mail off list. To find out more about Codename
Pineapple, please visit
http://www.codename-pineapple.org

A big Thank You to Voop, Nuvio, TransNexus and Peter Gradwell for
your support!

Best regards,
/Olle