[asterisk-users] Dealing with 2 SIP providers

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Sun May 13 16:43:04 MST 2007

> I haven't used AEL yet, if is
> ready for production at this point? (a while ago it was recommended not to
> use it).

I think AEL's been replaced by AEL2 in 1.4, but I've yet to migrate our asterisk deployments to 1.4, so cannot confirm. I've not found any stability issue using AEL - essentially it's converted to "regular" dialplan syntax on load anyway, so there shouldn't be any issues.

> Can you easily mix and match AEL and standard Asterisk (i.e. my old code
> with new code I would put in?)

Yes, I tend to program macros and the like which'll be common across a number of asterisk boxes in AEL, then have deployment-specific stuff in extensions.conf. That way I can fire a common extensions.ael file at all the boxes we maintain whilst not overwriting custom dialplan logic related to an individual install.

As I said in my earlier post, you'll need to do some testing to see what your 2 providers report when they're unavailable (and likewise when a number's genuinely engaged - does the provider report congestion or busy back to asterisk?)

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html