[asterisk-users] List of telemarketers??

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Sun May 13 05:51:34 MST 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 01:54:08AM +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:

> > 3. a list of bogus entries..so when you look at it, you know it's a
> > fake phone number...one that recently came in that got me thinking
> > this was 407 111 1111.
> I don't know much about the legal position over the other side of the pond, but I'm pretty sure that in the UK caller ID spoofing is illegal. There's nothing to stop you withholding your CLI of course, but to deliberately fake someone else's CLI (whether it exists or otherwise) pushes you over the line.
> Is the same not the case in the US?

I don't know if it's illegal (it would fall under the Comms Act if it
was), but I know it's discouraged. There are legal reasons you might
spoof CLI. Most telcos will have agreements that end-users can't do
nasty things with CLI (withholding doesn't actually block anything, just
flags the CLI should be withheld, so telcos, law enforcement etc still
get it).

Quite a few SS7 providers will allow customers to do what they like with
CLI, just have an agreement they wont do anything they shouldn't.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com