[asterisk-users] Asterisk High-Capacity Stability

Atlanticnynex atlanticnynex at gmail.com
Sat May 12 13:11:38 MST 2007

Thanks Alex, some great ideas.
I think, however, I'm leaning towards Asterisk at this point- since I have
quite a bit of experience there, and very little with SER. At this point,
I'm wondering from a dimensioning standpoint, what kind of capacity my
machine will have (Dual Core Xeon 2.4GHz 4GB RAM). As I said, I don't plan
to do any transcoding. I read the voip-info page on dimensioning and it
seems theres some mixed feelings about Asterisk in high-capacity
environments. I guess I'm looking for input as to whether Asterisk could
handle roughly one DS3's worth of calls (672 calls) just doing the LCR (I've
seen some pre-built LCR apps, looks like they all do on-the-fly MySQL
queries- I think I'd write my own AGI that would use a cache).

With my hardware, could Asterisk run stable for this amount of traffic?
What stability issues does Asterisk have at this scale?