[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri May 11 15:44:18 MST 2007

> On 5/11/07, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 May 2007, C F said something to this effect:
>>
>> > Not according to Verizon (in my area anyhow), We tried it and it
>> didn't
>> > work. The verizon technician insisted it wasn't real PTP copper and
>> > therefore anything but analog voice might/should not work.
>>
>>    What is "PTP copper"?  Unless it's an issue of gauge.  But as far as
>> know, it's not.  All the standard copper used for POTS can be used for a
>> T1 from a physical point of view, other aspects of conditioning/load
>> coils/etc/etc not withstanding.
>
> You are right, but that was not what I meant, in order for one to be
> able to provision their own T1 over a pair of copper, the line has to
> allow all traffic over all frequencies pass thru it. Which these lines
> do not, since they are simply not just one long copper pair simply
> cross connected.

that's what "dry copper" is supposed to be, just a cross connect between 2
pairs out of the CO. ie not even battery, line test equipment, or anything
else hanging off it at the CO. any restriction should be purely a function
of the inductance/capacitance of the wire and the connections and nothing
else - anything else and you didn't get "dry copper" in the first place.

just out of curiousity - anyone ever hijack pairs and get away with it ?
(do your own cross connects on the street and utilize some crossconnect
all within one branch of F1 cable out of the CO ?)

I've been tempted in the past, and know that at least around here I would
probably get away with it for quite some time before anyone actually cared
enough to investigate.

>> --
>> Alex Balashov   <sasha at presidium.org>

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com