[asterisk-users] The purpose of DUNDi

Remco Post remco at pipsworld.nl
Thu May 10 00:03:17 MST 2007

Rilawich Ango wrote:
> How about if both ServerA and ServerB houses extensions 500 throught
> 699.  Such that users can dynamically register Server A or Server B.
> Can we use DUNDi to implement such network?

yes. Use regexten and regcontext and have dundi look into that context
to see if an extension is available. The actual call doesn't need to go
trough that context.

This is the way to go for HA clusters.

> On 5/9/07, Alex Robar <alex.robar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ronaldo,
>>
>> Yes, you can use DUNDi for this. DUNDi simply advertises routes that a
>> given
>> server can terminate to its peers. As a very simple example, if ServerA
>> houses extensions 500 through 599 and ServerB houses extensions 600
>> through
>> 699, ServerA would advertise that it can terminate 5XX, and ServerB would
>> advertise that it can terminate 6XX. When any peer in your DUNDi cloud
>> requests how to terminate extension 502, ServerA will return a route to
>> itself that will allow that call to be made.
>>
>> There's a nice article on the Texas AUG site about setting up DUNDi with
>> dynamic extensions (
>> http://txaug.net/storage/users/3/3/images/17/Using%20DUNDi%20with%20a%20Cluster%20of%20Asterisk%20Servers.pdf
>>
>> ).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex Robar
>>
>> On 5/9/07, Ronaldo <ronaldoafonso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm planning to deploy many Asterisk servers for remote sites connected
>> > through IAX. Behind each server, there will be many sip clients
>> > connected. A sip client from one site must be able to make calls for
>> the
>> > other sip clients connected to the other remote Asterisk servers. I've
>> > heard that DUNDi is a good option in order for each Asterisk server to
>> > locate the right (or the best) routes for the sip clients.
>> > Is DUNDi really used for that?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance ...
>> >
>> > Ronaldo.

>>  --
>> Alex Robar
>> alex.robar at gmail.com

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams