[asterisk-users] The purpose of DUNDi

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Wed May 9 05:45:52 MST 2007

Hi Ronaldo,

Yes, you can use DUNDi for this. DUNDi simply advertises routes that a given
server can terminate to its peers. As a very simple example, if ServerA
houses extensions 500 through 599 and ServerB houses extensions 600 through
699, ServerA would advertise that it can terminate 5XX, and ServerB would
advertise that it can terminate 6XX. When any peer in your DUNDi cloud
requests how to terminate extension 502, ServerA will return a route to
itself that will allow that call to be made.

There's a nice article on the Texas AUG site about setting up DUNDi with
dynamic extensions (
http://txaug.net/storage/users/3/3/images/17/Using%20DUNDi%20with%20a%20Cluster%20of%20Asterisk%20Servers.pdf).

Cheers,
Alex Robar

On 5/9/07, Ronaldo <ronaldoafonso at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to deploy many Asterisk servers for remote sites connected
> through IAX. Behind each server, there will be many sip clients
> connected. A sip client from one site must be able to make calls for the
> other sip clients connected to the other remote Asterisk servers. I've
> heard that DUNDi is a good option in order for each Asterisk server to
> locate the right (or the best) routes for the sip clients.
> Is DUNDi really used for that?
>
> Thanks in advance ...
>
> Ronaldo.

Alex Robar