[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.2 and UDP packet numbering on bridged channels (for jitter buffering)?

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue May 8 20:09:26 MST 2007

Damon Estep wrote:

> http://www.asterisk.org/node/48317 does a nice job of explaining the
> 1.4 jitter buffer, however it raised a question in my mind.
>

> In 1.2 (and also 1.4), when asterisk bridges 2 SIP channels, are the
> UDP RTP packets renumbered on transmit, or is the original sequence
> number preserved in the UDP header?
>

> A comment is made on the referenced blog that jitter buffering is best
> implemented at the endpoint, where additional jitter will not be added
> by another IP link. This is logical thinking, but only possible if the
> bridging function in Asterisk preserves the source call leg UDP packet
> numbering in the terminating call LEG UDP RTP packet stream.
>

> If the effect of the Asterisk SIP to SIP bridge is such that the UDP
> headers are re-created on transmit it is likely that the packet
> sequencing is the order in which Asterisk transmitted the packets,
> which is may not be the order in which the original source UA
> transmitted them due to jitter in the IP link on the first half of the
> bridged call.
>

> Can anyone provide an authoritative answer on how asterisk sequences
> UDP RTP packets on the transmit leg of a bridged SIP call (known based
> on actual testing or code review)?

I can tell you about our extensive tests back when we were on version
1.0.X  Asterisk would take in an RTP stream and then recreate a new one
on exit, putting in a new Sequence Number, and new Timestamp in the RTP
Header.  This effectly destroys any chance of efficiently relying on
jitter buffering at the endpoints.  From multiple tests over the years
we have come to rely on the best jitter buffer we could devise in
Asterisk regarding SIP-SIP channels.  That is we loop the call out to a
ZAP channel and back in, thus turning the call into SIP-ZAP-ZAP-SIP.
The ZAP channels have quite good jitter buffers and they work perfectly
in our configuration.  Sure you eat extra T1 channels but we have not
choice.  Most of our customers are overseas and the jitter is quite high.