[asterisk-users] OT: USB T1/E1 Interface?

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 05:09:49 MST 2007

Remco Post wrote:
> Michael Collins wrote:
>
>> Just curious: has anyone seen or heard about a USB-based T1/E1 interface
>> device?  I’ve seen some serious T1/E1 testing equipment that is
>> USB-based, but I was wondering if there was something more generic, like
>> a Zaptel-ish T1/E1 that used USB instead of PCI/PCIx.
>>

> Why? There used to be a saying 'usb is for mice, firewire is for men',
> though USB has grown a bit in bandwidth since then, it is still not very
> well suited for a high sustained bandwidth. NOw T1/E1 is not that big, I
> suspect a lack of demand. Havng a E1 termintae in your laptop is quite
> useless, and a server usually has plenty of slots (if not, buy a bigger
> server ;-).

Maybe he is looking at making his own very portable testing equipment?
An idea I entertained myself.  A T-Bird is pretty expensive.  An
OpenSource T1 tester would probably sell pretty well, or at least
generate alot of interest.

I have seen PCMCIA to PCI adapters but they were quite expensive at the
time (~$500).  Maybe a shuttle or similar matx case with an LCD would
work well.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
www.asteriskhelpdesk.com