[asterisk-users] SIP Proxy

Remco Post remco at pipsworld.nl
Wed May 2 23:48:10 MST 2007

Ronaldo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to deploy a SIP Proxy but I just don't know which one to choose.
> Researching in the Internet I found the following ones:
>
>    * SIP Express Router
>      <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/SIP+Express+Router>: SER is
>      used by many SIP providers standalone or in conjunction with Asterisk
>    * Vovida.org <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Vovida.org>
>    * sipX <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/sipX> from Sipfoundry
>      <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/SIPfoundry> is a native SIP
>      proxy but also a complete SIP PBX
>    * OpenSER <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/OpenSER> - scalable
>      and robust SIP server with TLS support
>

> Can anyone suggest me something about these SIP Proxy?

SER and OpenSER are related. SER is more geared towards stability,
OpenSER towards features. I guess that If SER does what you need, go
with SER, otherwise look at OpenSER. I think that for instance
freeworddialup uses SER. I'd think it is a very viable solution.

The other two I don't knnow.

> p.s) Is Asterisk a SIP Proxy?

No, it is not, * is a back2back user agent.

> Regards ...
>
> Ronaldo.

Remco Post

"I didn't write all this code, and I can't even pretend that all of it
makes sense." -- Glen Hattrup