[asterisk-users] voice mail format

Adam KOSA adamk at 3a.hu
Wed May 2 04:57:38 MST 2007

Hi folks,

my goal is to access voicemail (there were some posts about this) but
not by dialing numbers.  As asterisk sends voicemails in e-mail, it's
cheaper for us to read e-mails on our cell phone (3g, gprs), and the
message is attached there.

i've looking around in voicemail.conf and found:
[general]
; Default formats for writing Voicemail
format = wav49|gsm|wav

my phone understands wav49, but some phones do not.  wav is understood
by all cellphones (every cellphone can play the message) but it's way
too big.  GSM is again, not understood by all phones.  Is there a way to
convert voicemail messages to mp3 format?  Should i poke around with
some hand-crafted application to generate the file, or is there built-in
way to achieve this?

since i don't know asterisk as much as i'd like, currently it seems that
it's easier to catch the incoming e-mails sent by asterisk, detach the
wav attachment, convert it to mp3 and resend to myself (this is not an
asterisk-related task).  but perhaps asterisk can be told to create the
messages in mp3 format.

thanks a lot
adam