[asterisk-users] OT: Capture Asterisk traffic

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed May 2 04:08:19 MST 2007

If you have a halfway decent manageable switch, you can mirror one port
to another.  Just mirror the I/O of the port that has the interesting
traffic to an empty port and hookup your laptop running ethereal to that
port.  There is no interruption in communications this way and it should
be totally invisible to everything.

One caveat, just because a switch can mirror ports does not mean that it
won't affect the data.  Older Cisco switches have port monitor options
but the Packets Per Second (PPS) proved to be a bottleneck (these are
10/100 manageable switches from a couple years ago in my experience).
Check the PPS figure in the docs for your switch.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com
KB3OPB