[asterisk-users] using Playback() to play a random sound file

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 23:30:51 MST 2007

>From: Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 22:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
>
>On Tue, 1 May 2007, Yuan LIU wrote:
>
>>>From: Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
>>>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:10:40 -0700 (PDT)

>>>I do this with an AGI.
>>
>>In 1.4, there's also a dial plan function RAND().
>
>Doesn't RAND return a random number?
>
>How will that help to play back a random file in a directory?

Well, any randomness algorithm starts with a random number.  In Asterisk
extension language, though, translating number to a file name takes a bit
lifting - meaning lifting by you, not by a system command or by a well
published procedure.  One way to do this is in dial plan is to use a static
AstDB table. (AEL may have better ways but I don't know.)

Yuan Liu