[asterisk-users] Digital Phones

Salvatore Giudice Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com
Tue May 1 17:57:47 MST 2007

Nortel digital Meridian phones are like $400/each. At least that was the
price of the phones at a hotel I did a job for recently.

When you go to SIP, you may save on the capital costs for the phones, but
other costs will increase. These are related to:

1.) increased support requirements for supporting VoIP
2.) additional licensing may be required from your vendor to support SIP or
IP media
3.) increased costs associated with mitigating potential damages since your
voice services are now subject to the same outages as your network
4.) increased training costs for staff to become proficient in VoIP
5.) increased costs associated with monitoring QoS
6.) increased costs associated with reconfiguring your network for VoIP and
QoS - many times new switches may have to be purchased in addition to SBC's
etc
7.) additional costs associated with rewiring physical space to accommodate
additional Ethernet ports required for phones

Sometimes, if you already have digital - it may not be worth switching to
SIP even if you save a ton on the handsets. Whenever we switch over a hotel
to VoIP, we always run into these extra 'hidden' costs.

If you want to do digital with asterisk, I think you'll need a T1/E1
multiplexer that supports digital phones.

Salvatore Giudice
Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com

VoIP Security Training, LLC
http://VoIPSecurityTraining.com

848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #1676
Las Vegas, NV 89107