[asterisk-users] Display Caller ID of called party

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:50:28 MST 2007

On 5/1/07, Savoy, Kevin - Williston, ND <ksavoy at novo1.com> wrote:

>  Not sure if this can be done or not, but I can't seem to find it anywhere
> on the Wiki. When dialing interoffice with Asterisk 1.4.2, I would like to
> have the caller id of the person I am dialing displayed and not the number I
> just dialed. Is this possible? So, if extension 4023 is John Doe, and I dial
> 4023, my display should read John Doe and not 4023. I am using a Polycom 501
> by the way in case that matters.

On a Grandstream GXP-2000, this happens when the dialed number is in the XML
phonebook that the phone sucks down from my provisioning server.  It might
work the same on the Polycom units.  Of course, you need to have some
process in place to keep the phonebook file up to date.

To do it in a generic way where the name is looked up by * and sent back to
your phone for display as part of the 100 Trying or 180 Ringing responses,
is an entirely different matter.  I suspect that the end-user experience
would vary wildly based on the equipment each user was using.  If this is
possible, I'm sure people more knowledgeable than me will chirp in.

The phonebook route might be the quickest bang for your buck though.  If I
recall from testing Polycom phones, you can have a central phonebook shared
by all phones and a per-phone phonebook that is uploaded by the phone to
your TFTP server so that even when re-provisioning from factory reset,
nothing is lost.  I didn't get far enough in the evaluation to set up a
provisionin server of my own.  The evaluation died in committee when an exec
reported that she "didn't like the small buttons" on the IP430.

--
j.