[asterisk-users] Delay in Dial()

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue May 1 13:45:12 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>> Steve Finkelstein wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Is there any syntax I can use to put a delay in two lines being dialed?
>>> One is a SIP endpoint, the other is my cell phone. I'd like to have the
>>> SIP phone ring for some arbitrary number of seconds before it is sent
>>> off to the mobile phone. Using something like a Wait() within a Dial()
>>> would be ideal.
>> [extensions]
>>
>> exten => 666,1,Dial(Local/desk at extensions@Local/cell at extensions)
>>
>> exten => desk,1,Dial(SIP/deadbeef-a)
>>
>> exten => cell,1,Wait(15)
>> exten => cell,2,Dial(Zap/G1/5551212)
>
> Wouldn't just using the Dial timeout option do the same thing more
> elegantly?
>
> Or do you want the SIP phone to keep ringing?

No.  Dial(SIP/desk&SIP/cell) would find BOTH phones at the same time.

The original poster wants the desk phone to ring, then after X seconds,
KEEP ringing the desk phone, but also ring the cell phone.

Using the Dial timeout would STOP ringing the desk phone then, start
ringing the desk phone again and also ring the cell phone.

I don't know about you but it would seem pretty unprofessional to me if
my deskphone rang, I went to pick it up, got a dialtone because I did
not get to it in time, then before I hungup the deskphone Asterisk rang
both the desk and cell phone.  Since the deskphone is offhook the call
could go immediately to voicemail and then there would be no call when
you rushed over to pick up the cell phone.