[asterisk-users] Polycom 501 + Asterisk +Edit buttons

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:11:03 MST 2007

Hi Folks -

> Please share a snip of what the Polycom config file looks like for
> re-mapping a hard key.  I was under the impression that was not
> possible, just moving the keys around.  So you can actually change
> the function of what the key does, like send DTMF tones back to Asterisk?

Well, until fairly recently, you would have been limited to just
moving keys around.  With the release of the 2.x firmware series,
Polycom implemented remapping a speed dial to a key, and this gives us
more options.  But, there are still limitations.  The biggest one: if
you do remap a speed dial, when you press the key, it will always
create a new channel (if one is available).  I'd love it to be able to
send strings of DTMF digits inside an existing call, but this is still
not possible.

Anyway, here's an example of remapping.  It uses the "keys" element in sip.cfg:

   <keys key.scrolling.timeout="1"
key.IP_500.37.function.prim="DialpadPound"
key.IP_500.32.function.prim=DialpadStar"
key.IP_500.31.function.prim="SpeedDial"
key.IP_500.31.subPoint.prim="1"
key.IP_600.37.function.prim="DialpadPound"
key.IP_600.30.function.prim="DialpadStar"/>

For IP 500's, this example remaps the Transfer Hard Key to '#'
(Configured as Asterisk Blind Transfer), the Directories Hard Key to
'*' (Configured as Autopark), and the Services Key to '701'
(Configured as Park Pickup).  For the speed dial, you can set it up on
the phone, but I'd recommend creating a directory file on your
Polycom's FTP/HTTP server.  Here's the simple one that I use:

<!-- $Revision: 1.2 $  $Date: 2004/12/21 18:28:05 $ -->
<directory>
        <item_list>
                <item>
                        <fn>701</fn>