[asterisk-users] Polycom Power

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:18:31 MST 2007

I was reading somewhere that Polycom cables only work when the power is over
pins 1236 (signal pairs). I won't swear to it, but that's what I read.

Anyway, most PoE injectors (not all, but most) inject power on pins 4578
(non-signal pairs), meaning it won't work with things that need the power on
the signal pairs. For that, you'll need a switch that supports PoE.

For simple testing, Netgear has some cheap unmanaged switches that provide
PoE that's 802.11af-compliant. We're using a couple of them in really small
satellite offices, and they've been holding up pretty well. But I wouldn't
use them in a large-scale deployment, since they don't support VLAN
trunking, QoS, and what-not.