[asterisk-users] maximum simultaneous calls

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:01:43 MST 2007

>From: "Mark Quitoriano" <markquitoriano at gmail.com>
>Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:05:57 +0800
>
>Hi,
>
>what could be the maximum simultaneous calls can asterisk do? i read about
>the asterisk business edition review[1] and it can only handle 120
>simultaneous calls? i'm using 1.2.x branch of asterisk and i use more or
>less 90 simultaneous calls.
>
>[1] http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Asterisk+Business+Edition

What about
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+dimensioning?  People
reports all kinds of numbers above 120.  The answer partially depends on
your hardware.

"Simultaneous calls" can also mean very different things under different
circumstances, as the page will tell you.  If there is no
transcoding/NAT'ing/in-band signaling, simultaneous calls can mean SIP
set-ups only.  You can see extremely high numbers even on ancient equipment.
  If everything is in-band and you are using CPU-intensive CODECs, the
number will drop sharply.  It also varies with types of channels, i.e.,
whether you use PSTN, IAX, SIP, H.323.  But still, I don't think 120 is any
limit.

Yuan Liu