[asterisk-users] wireless desktop phones

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Mar 28 13:31:16 MST 2007

Jordan Novak wrote:
> Okay, I get it. I still have a problem though. I have no way to wire 30%
> of these end-points. P{hysically impossible. They do have cat3 twisted
> pair to each phone.

If they have Cat 3 to each phone, how can it be physically impossible?
Is it *physically* impossible, or is the client emotionally unready for
the implications?

If they are going to VoIP, it is time to do proper cabling and put in
Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable, and do multiple runs per workstation. Diddling
around is for the radio club.

(Another poster pointed out that Cat3 can do 10BaseT, but most Cat3
installations are so old that I wouldn't place my trust in them for
anything requiring the level of reliability people expect of their voice
equipment.)

Voice equipment should work well and all the time -- five 9's
reliability. You're only going to get that by being rigorous.

-Stephen-