[asterisk-users] wireless desktop phones

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Wed Mar 28 07:53:54 MST 2007

Jordan Novak wrote:
> Okay, I get it. I still have a problem though. I have no way to wire
> 30% of these end-points. P{hysically impossible. They do have cat3
> twisted pair to each phone. But of course they want IP. Are there any
> adpaters that will give me just enough bandwidth to get it done. The
> computer network is all wireless so the phones would have all the
> bandwidth.

You should be able to use 10baseT over Cat 3 cables.
A half decent manageable 10/100 switch will be able to lock the ports to
10Mb. 10 megabits is plenty for voice.

Depending on the quality of the wiring, your mileage may vary. Take care
to use proper structured wiring techniques. Put Cat5 sockets on the desk
end and a patch panel in the closet. DO NOT crimp RJ45 connectors onto
building wiring. They are not meant for this type of cable and THEY WILL
NOT BE RELIABLE.

regards,

Drew

--