[asterisk-users] SRTP vs ZRTP in Asterisk

dubrowin.44628913 at bloglines.com dubrowin.44628913 at bloglines.com
Mon Mar 26 23:17:33 MST 2007

My understanding based on the notes from the IETF meeting last week is that
the SRTP Key Exchange group met and is considering two options.  They are
exploring DTLS and ZRTP.  (There was a third option on the table which they
are no longer exploring)  The biggest issue with ZRTP seems to be non-technical
(ie Intellectual Property).

  Shlomo

--- Asterisk Users Mailing List
- Non-Commercial Discussion <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com wrote:
Hi All,

> I've been reading about Phil Zimmermann's ZRTP encryption scheme for

> SIP clients. This seems attactive but I don't use soft phones. I'm
> guessing
that we'd need ZRTP support in Asterisk in
> order to use it to secure calls
from hard phones.

> There seem to be issues with SRTP key exhange between
various devices.
> So much so that the IETF is working on a standardization
project. ZRTP,
> which is one of the proposals before the
> IETF,  overcomes
this. Since Zimmermann has open sourced the protocol I
> would hope that
it could be implemented in Asterisk without too much
> trouble.
>
> Does
the current work on SRTP extend into ZRTP?