[asterisk-users] Semi-OT: Use T.38 ATAs to Extend fax lines

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Fri Mar 23 08:49:33 MST 2007

Greetings.

I have a scenario I would like some advice on. I have a 100,000 square
foot building that we will be moving some work crews into. It has
offices on each end of the building and a fiber line between them. I
currently have an asterisk 1.2 system in place and about 30 phones. My
problem is they want a few fax machines out in the warehouse area where
I currently have no wiring for POTS lines. So my question is this: If my
D-Mark is at one end of the building, can I use some T.38 ATA's and
Asterisk 1.4 to hook up my fax machines and save me the hassle of
running copper all over just for fax machines? Or, am I better off just
running the copper. I've done a few hours research and here's what I was
thinking:

FAX A <-> GS-HT286 <-> |----------|
                        |          |     |--------| <-> POTS A
FAX B <-> GS-HT286 <-> | Asterisk |     | GS     | <-> POTS B
                        |   1.4.2  | <-> |GXW-4104| <-> POTS C
FAX C <-> GS-HT286 <-> | to route |     |--------| <-> POTS D
                        |   calls  |
FAX D <-> GS-HT286 <-> |----------|

What I need is if FAX A calls out it goes over POTS A and if POTS A
rings FAX A rings, etc. I'm confident I can set up asterisk, my concern
is the reliability of the equipment and the calls. Is this a sound plan?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave